The original site of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Cedar Rapids has a ton of history! From 1910 to 1954, this was the site of St James Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1954 the church sold the land to the YMCA who converted the building into the Ellis Community Center. Between 1958 and 1980, the YMCA added a teen center, a gym, a pool, locker rooms, and weight rooms. In August, 1990 the YMCA announced it would be closing the Ellis Branch. The Ellis Community Center was near and dear to many who had used this building and made so many memories there, so in December, 1991 the Friends of the Ellis Community Center
reopened the Ellis Community Center. Finally, on November 16, 1993, a Boys & Girls Club came to Cedar Rapids when the Ellis Community Center chartered with the Boys & Girls Club of America.